WE WANT YOU!
TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
Everyone must submit or show Proof of Service (DD 214) or VA Service Verification Letter
and Discharge Criteria (Honorable) to show service during eligible dates
ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS JUST SHOW YOUR ACTIVE DUTY ID
Veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following to the Post Adjutant:
1. Complete American Legion Membership application (available at Post 283).
2. Proof of a DD-214 Member-4 with Discharge Criteria (Honorable), or VA Service Verification Letter showing Honorable discharge.
3. Membership Dues Payment ($40.00). You can pay in person or you can mail your completed application to: American Legion Post 283, ATTN: Adjutant, 9459 Fort Caroline Road, Jacksonville, FL. 32225. Make checks payable to our Post (American Legion Post 283). DO NOT SEND CASH!
4. If the information is correct, membership will be approved at the next scheduled membership meeting and a membership card will be mailed to you, or it can be held at the post per your request.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILTY in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces. Qualifying Membership dates are below.
- April 6th 1917 - November 11th, 1918 .
- December 7th, 1941 - PRESENT
o "Until a time later determined by the Federal Government "
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit or show proof of the following:
1. Completed Member Data Form.
2. Copy of Membership Card
3. Please provide currency of Membership dues.
If you are transferring from Post 400 please include a copy of your DD-214
We Are Family!