WE WANT YOU!......as long as you are eligible!
TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT or SHOW PROOF OF SERVICE (DD 214)
AND DISCHARGE CRITERIA (Honorable) TO SHOW SERVICE DURING ELIGIBILTY DATES
Veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following to the Post Adjutant:
1. Complete American Legion Membership application (available at Post 283).
2. Proof of a DD214 with Discharge Criteria (Honorable).
3. Membership Dues Payment ($40.00). Make checks payable to our Post (American Legion Post 283). DO NOT SEND CASH! Mail your completed application to: American Legion Post 283, ATTN: Adjutant, 9549 Fort Caroline Road, Jacksonville, FL. 32225
4. If the information is correct, membership will be approved at the next scheduled membership meeting and a membership card will be mailed to you.
5. Please see eligibility dates below.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILTY in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces between:
April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918: World War I
December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946: World War II. (U.S. Merchant Marine - December 7, 1941 - August 15, 1945)
June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955: Korean War
February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975: Vietnam War
August 24, 1982 - July 31,1984: Lebanon/Grenada
December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990: Operation Just Cause
August 2, 1990 - Today*: Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm
*Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit or show proof of the following:
1. Completed Member Data Form.
2. Copy of Membership Card
3. Please provide currency of Membership dues.
If you are transferring from Post 400 please include a copy of your DD-214
We Are Family!