WE WANT YOU!
To join the American Legion you must submit or show Proof of Service (DD 214) or VA Service Verification Letter and Discharge Criteria (Honorable) to show service during eligible dates.
Qualifying membership dates are:
April 6th 1917 - November 11th, 1918.
- December 7th, 1941 until a time later determined by the Federal Government.
Veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following to the Post Adjutant:
1. American Legion Membership application (available at Post 283).
2. Proof of a DD-214 with discharge criteria (Honorable), or VA Service Verification Letter showing Honorable discharge.
3. Membership Dues Payment ($40.00). You can pay in person at Post 283 or you can mail your completed application to:
American Legion Post 283, ATTN: Adjutant, 9459 Fort Caroline Road, Jacksonville, FL 32225 Please make checks payable to our Post (American Legion Post 283).
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit or show proof of the following:
1. Completed Member Data Form (available at Post 283).
2. Copy of Membership Card
3. Please provide currency of Membership dues.
If you are transferring from Post 400 please include a copy of your DD-214
We Are Family!